Hey, just so you know, I’m an Amazon Associate, which means I get some money when you buy from Amazon through my links. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and it helps me keep this site running and full of awesome content for you. I appreciate your support a lot!
Table of Contents
More people than ever before are learning how to take better care of themselves. We are living longer and so nutrition and wellness is becoming more important. As medical knowledge grows and we learn more about the human body and how it works, most of us are trying to stay healthy and fit.
“We are what we eat.” So, the famous saying goes. Most doctors would agree. Nutrition, the food and nutrients we put into our bodies is the source of wellness and health.
In this post I will outline 7 of the most powerful ways you can focus on improving your health through nutrition and how this will make you feel better.
So, let’s get started with the first.
Key Concept 1: Balanced Diet and Nutrient-Rich Foods
A balanced diet is extremely important for overall health.
Our bodies need to process the minerals, vitamins, proteins and so on that exist in foods and convert this into material that the body uses for many bodily processes. Nutrition and wellness are closely connected because foods can contribute to both physical and mental health.
Here are some reasons why a balanced diet matters:
- Nutrition provides the nutrients and vitamins that we need to grow.
- Our bodies need nutritional elements in food to enable the body to repair.
- Avoiding diseases is only possible with a healthy balanced diet. Certain illnesses such as cancer, heart problems and diabetes can be prevented by eating the right foods.
- A properly balanced diet helps fuel the body and provides us with the energy we need during the day.
- A balanced diet can boost the immune system and protect the body from infection and disease.
- Proper amounts of fruit, vegetables, meat, grains, fibre and fats help to maintain a healthy weight and prevent obesity.
- A balanced diet full of nutritional food will help strengthen and protect bones and teeth.
I recommend this book from Amazon:
“The Blue Zones Solution” by Dan Buettner: This book explores the lifestyles and diets of the world’s healthiest and longest-lived people. The author, Dan Buettner, identifies the commonalities among these populations and provides practical tips for incorporating their habits into our own lives.
People often make the mistake of thinking that fat is bad. We need healthy fats in our diet.
I’ve made it a habit to watch this doctor’s videos because he explains how the body works and really knows what he is talking about, I know that from my own experience.
But how should we improve the food choices we make each day? This is what we’ll look at next.
Making Healthy Food Choices
There are a number of ways to make more healthy food choices. First, you should seek to cut out the bad foods from your diet. We all have many bad habits when it comes to food, but you can change this. All you need is to have some determination. Remember the goal is nutrition and wellness. We all want to be well don’t we?
Here is what you should do to improve your diet
- Cut out sugary foods. They are just not good for you. Also, did you know that cancer and Alzheimer’s are just two of the illnesses than can be connected to sugar.
- Organic eating is a way to get more nutrition from your food. Organic food has so many more nutrients and less pesticides are used to grow them. This means they are less likely to aggravate or cause food allergies.
Perhaps the most important one thing you could do to improve your overall health and wellness is to do what I have done. Focus on your digestion!
If your digestive system is not working perfectly, then many health problems and symptoms can ocurr such as:
- Acid Reflux or GERD
- and much worse…
Get these for your digestive health, from Amazon now:
Key Concept 2: Adequate Hydration
Water is important because our bodies need it to function and maintain health.
Here are a few of the vital functions that water performs in the body:
- Remove toxins and waste from our body. Water is needed for urination, bowel movements and sweating.
- Keeps the body temperature constant.
- Transports nutrients extracted from food to the cells.
- Water protects and maintains our inner organs and tissues.
- Helps our brains to function correctly.
- Maintains body weight.
- Lubricates and helps joints to function correctly. It prevents arthritis.
You can see just how important water is, so drink enough! How much is enough?
The Institute of Medicine (IOM) claims that men need 3 litres per day of water and women need 2 litres per day. Of course, the actual amount we need to drink also depends on the temperature, humidity, altitude and the activity we are doing. But the figures given are a good average level to go with.
So, there you have it, the two main ways to improve your nutrition and wellness. Of course, besides nutrition there are many other factors which can affect your overall wellness and health. These include quality sleep, exercise, stress, lifestyle, preventative steps and regular health check-ups. We will taake a look at these and more on other pages in this website.
Experienced researcher/ writer/ life coach with personal experience of dealing with a number of health issues including acid reflux and digestive issues. I help people find natural ways to improve health and nutrition.